We’ve all had a broken heart. I’d like to think there is a process in which we mend our hearts to make ourselves feel better. Sometimes timing is off and we need to mend our hearts faster, but the biggest challenge is time.
1) Deactivate your facebook. If you are like me, I like to broadcast to the entire world how i am doing. One year, I was so heartbroken I kept posting emo facebook updates to the entire world. Everyone was aware of how I was doing and they wanted to stay away from me. I’d suggest deactivating your facebook until you are emotionally doing better
2) Talk about it with friends or family. Its best to talk about what is on your mind.Your friends and family are the best sources to go to. They will listen to you if they really care about you.
3) Distance yourself from that person or adapt to the situation. Its best to avoid that person so you will not be stressing out or crying when you see them. However, if you find yourself in a situation where you have to interact with that person on a daily basis, you need to adapt. You are going to have to put up a face that says you are strong and nothing is bothering you. Its difficult to do, but you’re gonna have to do it.
4) Make a list of qualities you like about yourself. What is unique about you? Are you a great friend? Can you juggle? Can you sing you heart out? Can you burp the ABCs? By making this list, you see what is unique and special about you.
5) Make a list of things that make you happy. After you are done making your list, do some of those activities or things. By making yourself happy, you are not worry about the stresses in your life.
You can combine 4 & 5 to make a collage
6) Go out there and meet new people. I’m not saying get a rebound, but I think if you put yourself out there to meet new people and new personalities, you tend to forget what is making you sad to begin with.
7) Have a girls’ night out. Sometimes we all need a night out with girls to make ourselves feel better such as a movie night, slumber party, karaoke, clubbing, etc.
8) Babysitting or petsitting. Even if you feel like you can’t love yourself, its best to love other people or beings. Babysit someone else’s child or petsit.
9) Do Community Service. By doing random acts of kindness, you will feel better as a person, especially if you are providing a service to humanity.
10) Take a trip to yourself if you need to. Sometimes in life we feel like we are being pulled in all sorts of directions. we never stop to think: what do I want. I think daytrips and/or mini vacations will help us get away, even if its for a day.
On a final note: be strong and make sure to make yourself happy before you make others happy. when you have a broken heart, its okay to be selfish because at the end of the day, you are your own number one priority.